Saturday, June 11, 2011

I Can't Get No

There is an art to the business of making sandwiches which it is given to few ever to find the time to explore in depth. It is a simple task, but the opportunities for satisfaction are many and profound.
--Douglas Adams

Today's post isn't just a thinly veiled Rolling Stones reference.  I've come here to talk a little bit about some of my recent kills, and why they've left me somewhat disappointed.  Not because seeing spaceships explode isn't fun, but rather because they lacked that elusive "gf" at the end.  Read on and you'll understand.

Lately I've found myself doing a lot more gang work and a lot less solo work.  The reasons for it can be found in my recent ship selection of a very slow moving Cruiser.  It's not ideally suited for solo work and, as the Amarr E-WAR Cruiser, has capabilities very helpful to a gang.  What I've found myself doing has been almost none of the Solo Belt Piracy I had been up to in Frigates and a lot more of dropping in on mission runners.

I don't remember who said it, or where I read it, but I recall a quote I once heard in EVE.  Paraphrased of course, because if I could find the source I'd know who to give credit to.

"Lowsec is a lot like Thailand.  We come here for the rich culture and exotic locales, but we always just end up molesting little children."

When I say "dropping in on" what I mostly mean is OMGWTFBBQPWNing them.  It's not like I'm running around Lowsec in a 40 man fleet of course, but even with three or four PvP fit ships we're massive overkill for what a single mission runner is generally capable of taking on.  While I'd love to have more fights like the first one I took my Arbitrator into, they're not that easy to find.

One thing I will say has been nice about my recent kills has been there affect on my wallet balance.  Ransoming or killing mission runners has produced a very nice influx of ISK for not only me, but the Cartel as a whole.  Recently the atmosphere in the Placid region has changed rather dramatically, making things even more profitable than usual, but I'll talk more on that later.

One last thing of note is that this feeling of unsatisfactory kills has really only lasted about a week or so.  It's directly responsible for my somewhat lax posting of late, but some very exciting things have happened in that last couple of days.  Those events have provided the necessary Muse for blog-worthy adventures, but I felt I still needed to to showcase these feelings as well.  I'm reminded of a post by Taurean of Flight-of-Dragons when I say that I wanted to share the somewhat less than thrilling reminder that a life of Piracy isn't always glitz and glamour.  Anyone who would find inspiration in my tales of Piracy would do well to remember that there are times when it doesn't feel terribly glamorous, but those times have always turned around for me.

Regarrrds,

FNG

No comments:

Post a Comment