Friday, December 24, 2010

Rough Starts

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-- Douglas Adams

Gather round, it's time for a tale.  I'd like to say it's an epic tale of adventure, but then I'd be lying.  My life of Piracy by no means got off to an epic beginning.  I had about a month of play time, and less than 2 million skill points.

I died.



But I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I spent a couple of days looking for that first fight.  It gave me the opportunity to set up bookmarks and hone skills with the directional scanner that still serve me well to this day.  Also, he was kind of a dick.  I learned that he was not the kind of person I ever wanted to be.  I would encourage you not to be the guy telling people how "fail" their fit is and that they should just quit the game now.  I'm not really sure how that helps anything.  But I did take two very important lessons from some of those early defeats.

1.  Don't get discouraged.


If you're easily discouraged by losing ships in this game, you're going to find PvP very frustrating.  Remember, it's only a game.  Turn every loss into a valuable learning experience and you'll walk away better for it.

2.  Fight the fish, not the sharks.


A lesson I'm still learning to this day, with varying degrees of success.  If you wish to call yourself a Pirate, and with that to make money from ransoms and at the loss of other's, then you'd do well to prey on the weak while leaving the strong alone.  Especially if you're new and inexperienced, try to steer clear of the other people trying to turn you into prey.  That Rifter pilot with more than a year on you who just jettisoned his cargo at the gate?  Yeah, stay away from him.

Next time I'll talk about some better times, and getting a few friends to watch your back.

Regarrrds,

FNG

No comments:

Post a Comment