Tuesday, May 1, 2012

End of an Era

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
--Douglas Adams

When I had been playing EVE for three months, I created this blog.  When I first designed it, I had no idea what I was doing (both on the blog and in EVE) and thought the tagline "One Pirate's Epic Tale of Epic Fail" would be fitting the disaster that was sure to occur.  Today I fulfill that promise as I fail at Piracy forever by giving up my Outlaw Status.  Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Back when I been playing EVE less than a month I came across a pair of blogs that really caught my attention.  While Ka Jolo and Spectre may have had two very different styles, what they had in common was a story of a young player in a T1 Frigate exploring Piracy and eventually leading their own Pirate Corporations.  As a player in a T1 Frigate, it was inspiring to see how far they had come from such humble beginnings.  The blogs had another thing in common though; they were both very out of date.

As I said then, what I hoped to do in creating this blog was to show other players out there that it was still possible, regardless of all those people telling you that "EVE has changed," and "Lowsec is dead."  If you're reading this now, regardless of how old this post is, I just want you to know that players have been saying those things as long as their have been players to say them.  Don't believe it, because it's not anymore true now than it was two years ago or will be two years from now.

In the beginning, as I did then, you will find Piracy very challenging.  You will die.  Repeatedly.  But then something will happen; one day you'll engage a ship and somehow survive.  Maybe you'll have been tweaking your fit for weeks until you've got it right, maybe you just won't make any mistakes this time, maybe your target will be someone even newer than you, but it will happen.  Once it does, slowly but surely being an Outlaw won't be as hard as it was.

If you really take to PvP in EVE, someday you'll begin to notice your wallet balance is no longer going down.  Someday you won't be worried about how to fund your Piracy and instead will wonder what to spend the ISK on.  If you're anything like me, when that day comes, Piracy will lose a bit of its appeal.  For it was originally the challenge of being told I couldn't succeed at these things myself that drew me to it, and with that gone I feel I must move on to other challenges.

Just as my pursuits in-game change, so too will this blog.  Expect to see some changes to the site's design (or if you're reading this much later, I assure you it looked dreadful before) the next time you visit.  I should have the changes and a post to explain where I'll be heading in-game up by the end of the week.

Regarrrds,

FNG

1 comment:

  1. If you going to sell out and join the Goons i will never forgive this blog.

    ReplyDelete