Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Times They Are a-Changin'

'The time has come,' the walrus said, 'to talk of many things: of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings.'
--Lewis Carroll

As mentioned in my last post, I'm taking a new direction in EVE and this blog.  To any of you out there that are worried, it's still going to be focused on PvP and the New Player.  I'm just taking the focus off of Piracy as the only form of PvP I'm doing and regaining my sec status is helping me accomplish that goal.  Today I'm going to talk a bit about what that goal is, and give an overview of what's coming next on the blog.

First up, the reason for my newly raised sec status.  Lately I've been really inspired by PvPers like Kil2 and Kovorix to get fights not as an means to an end (in Piracy that end being to raise money), but as the singular goal. A negative sec status really gets in the way of that for logistics reasons.  No, not those logistics, but the kind concerned with moving ships around easily.  Currently I can already enter 0.6 systems and the ease at which I can have larger ships hauled to me and simply flown into Low and Null sec has become apparent.  With this newfound ability, I hope to get into more exciting fights in the future which will lead to me learning new things about PvP in EVE and being able to spread that knowledge to you.

The other change is regarding this blog.  When first created, the EVE FNG the title was referring to was me.  As time has gone on and I've become less of a complete noob, the site has shifted from telling tales of my personal new player experience to writing in a fashion that I hope explains things for those going through their new player experience.  As players do not start as ebil piwates with -10.0 Security Status, it seemed appropriate to branch out using that same approach for other playstyles within the game.  It's also meant a facelift for the blog itself, so all you people reading this through an RSS reader, feel free to stop by and take a look at the new design.

So, starting next week, we're going to try something new around here.  The subject matter isn't going to be that different exactly, but the format will.  I'm going to be discussing the newly proposed changes to T1 Frigates as posted by CCP Ytterbium.  While there are more than twenty Tech 1 Frigates, that post outlines the first changes happening to five of them and we're going to take a look at each one in turn over a period of five days.  While I don't pretend to be the Master of All Things Fitting, hopefully by the end of the week through discussion in the comments we can all have a pretty good idea of what these new ships are likely to be capable of.

To those curious as to the method behind my madness, I'll be using the EveHQ Fitter and its handy HQF Editor to look at the ship changes.  I encourage those of you interested in joining the discussion to go download it and play around with the editor as to be able to design fittings of your own.  I fully expect by the end of the week to have someone come up with something I have completely missed that outperforms everything else I could conjure up for the ships.

FNG

No comments:

Post a Comment